Why Does Sustainable Fashion Matter?

The world today is facing a number of challenges, especially with regard to the environment. Everything from greenhouse gas production to deforestation and ocean acidification has led to a world where we need to think more critically about our habits and practices when it comes to fashion.

We are seeing an increased focus on sustainability in every industry. From food and drink, to travel and even housing; everything is being reassessed from an environmental standpoint. Where once fast fashion was king, we now see companies like Zara moving towards more sustainable production methods.

Even as environmental concerns continue to grow, so does our love for clothing. According to Statista, the global apparel market was valued at over $1 trillion in 2017; constituting one of the most popular consumer markets worldwide. With this demand for clothing growing year on year, it’s important that we address these issues with new eyes – and that’s why sustainable fashion matters now more than ever before…

Why Does Sustainable Fashion Matter?

Sustainable fashion means looking at the entire life cycle of a fashion piece, and asking questions such as where did this fabric come from? What dyes were used? How was it made? Who made it? What transport methods were involved in shipping the piece from factory to retailer? How will the garment be disposed of, when it comes to the end of its life cycle?

Why Sustainable Fashion is Important for Everyone

The fashion industry is one of the highest polluting and wasteful industries in the world. It produces more carbon dioxide than all planes, trains, and automobiles combined. We are currently using resources at an unsustainable rate, and the fashion industry alone is responsible for around 10% of global carbon emissions.

But what’s more is that fashion is also incredibly wasteful. Each year, we produce around 80 billion pieces of clothing; only 10% of which are ever recycled. The remaining 90% are sent to landfill, where they will sit for decades, releasing harmful greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

If we want to move towards a more sustainable future, then the fashion industry is a great place to start. Sustainable fashion is about bringing an eco-friendly approach to the clothes that we wear every day. It’s about making sure that our wardrobes are as ethical as possible. And it’s about making sure that we are being responsible with the resources that we have. Sustainable fashion is about making a difference. It’s about showing the world that we care about the future and that we want to leave it in a better place.

Why Does Sustainable Fashion Matter?

How Can We Achieve More Sustainable Fashion?

The first thing that we can do to achieve more sustainable fashion is to be more critical about the clothes that we buy. There are a number of questions that we can ask ourselves before we make a purchase to help us make more eco-friendly choices.

Firstly, ask yourself if you really need that item, or if there is something that is just as good that you can buy second hand. Secondly, ask yourself if the garment has an ethical source, and if the way format of produce was ethical too. Finally, ask yourself if you’ll be able to wear it again and again, or if it will end up in a landfill after just one use.

There are many ways that fashion can become more sustainable. One way is to buy better quality items that will last longer. Second, we can buy fewer items but of higher quality. Third, we can find new ways to source materials, such as using recycled fabrics. Finally, we can look to reduce our carbon footprint by travelling less to shop and choosing carbon-neutral shipping options when we do.

To attract customers that are more interested in sustainable fashion, some fashion brands are utilizing more environmentally friendly materials such as natural dyes, or natural cotton, as they require less water to produce, and are less toxic to the waterways, thus helping to reduce harm to wildlife or sea life.

Sustainable fashion is a trend that continue to grow, especially as more retailers / brands and clothing manufacturers convert to more sustainable practices and supply chains. This is because sustainability is not only good for the environment, but it also benefits society and the economy too.